Read Paper Details

Allocation of H-1B visas to top 5 IT firms drops 49%

  • 06/04/2019
  •  The allocation of H-1B work visas to India’s top five IT companies has declined by a whopping 49% in 2018, following the tightening of rules by the US administration.
  • According to a research report by CARE Ratings, the total number of H-1B applications approved to the top five IT majors — TCS, Infosys, HCL, Wipro and Tech Mahindra — stood at a mere 22,429, down from 43,957 in 2017, amid the rhetoric against immigrant workers by the Donald Trump administration.
  • Of the total approved applicants, 72% held a bachelors degree and the rest 28%, masters degree. The median salaries for the top five Indian IT services companies, for the H1-B workers, were in the range of $74,000-$90,000, the report revealed.
  • The rejection level of H-1B visas to the top five Indian IT firms was at 20.6%, with 5,809 of the 28,238 applications put forth being rejected.
  • Bengaluru-based IT major Infosys was the worse affected when it came to the acceptance of H-1B visas — 26.4% of the company’s 8,052 H-1B applications were rejected by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  • The total number of approved H-1B applications by the USCIS has also dropped by 9% to 3,31,098 in 2018, from 3,64,584 in 2017.